Friday, November 24, 2017

Become part of our community

captcha 
EPM general manager Jorge Londoño de la Cuesta EPM general manager Jorge Londoño de la Cuesta Source: EPM

EPM Successfully Places US$764 Million Bond Offering

Published in Companies Written by  November 01 2017 font size decrease font size increase font size 0
Rate this item
(2 votes)

Medellin-based multinational utilities giant EPM announced October 31 that it successfully placed a COP$2.3 billion (US$764 million) 10-year bond offering at 8.375% interest.

“This is the third international issue denominated in Colombian pesos,” according to the company. Wall Street bond rater Fitch gave the issue a “BBB+” rating while Moody’s gave it a “Baa2” rating.

“With this issuance, made in order to prepay debt in dollars, the profile of the company’s debt is improved,” according to EPM. The latest placement takes advantage of the “current financial conditions of the international market,” according to the company, whose sole shareholder is the municipality of Medellin.

For the issue, about 60% of the bond buyers were from the United States, Europe, Chile, and Peru, while the remaining 40% were Colombian investors, according to the company.

“Thanks to this issue, we managed to make an important debt-management operation, which will allow us to improve the maturity profile and the average life of the debt,” added EPM general manager Jorge Londoño de la Cuesta.

“In addition, we will increase our debt composition in Colombian pesos, which will allow us to reduce EPM’s exposure to debt denominated in dollars, thereby minimizing the impacts derived from foreign exchange risk,” he said.

Funds from the bond issue will prepay a loan due in 2020, which was signed with seven banks in 2015. In total, 45% of the issue funds are going toward the construction of the US$5.5 billion, 2.4-gigawatt “Ituango” hydroelectric project in Antioquia, with the remaining 55% going to support other investment plans.

Spanish bank BBVA, U.S.-based Bank of America Merrill Lynch, and UK-based HSBC served as placement bankers for the issue.

Read 163 times Last modified on Last modified on November 01 2017

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.

SILLETEROS PARADE 2016 by JOHN AND DONNA STORMZAND (click to enlarge)

MEDELLÍN PHOTOS by Gabriel Buitrago (click to enlarge)

Featured

Volunteering February 20 2017 0
As the late North American philosopher A.B. Johnson once quipped, “mighty oaks from little acorns…

About Medellin Herald

Medellin Herald is a locally produced, English-language news and advisory service uniquely focused upon a more-mature audience of visitors, investors, conference and trade-show attendees, property buyers, expats, retirees, volunteers and nature lovers.

U.S. native Roberto Peckham, who founded Medellin Herald in 2015, has been residing in metro Medellin since 2005 and has traveled regularly and extensively throughout Colombia since 1981.

Medellin Herald welcomes your editorial contributions, comments and story-idea suggestions. Send us a message using the "contact" section.

Contact US

logo def
Medellin Herald: Find news, information, reviews and opinion on business, events, conferences, congresses, education, real estate, investing, retiring and more.
  • COL (4) 386 06 27
  • USA (1) 305 517 76 35
  •  www.medellinherald.com 
  •  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 
  • Medellin, Antioquia, Colombia

Medellín Photo Galery

Medellin, contrasting colors and styles by Gabriel Buitrago
MPGMPGMPGMPGMPGMPGMPGMPGMPGMPGMPGnav