Sunday, March 7, 2021

Become part of our community

captcha 
Artist's Conception of Avenida 80 Light-Rail System Artist's Conception of Avenida 80 Light-Rail System Source: Presidencia de Colombia

Medellin’s Avenida 80 Light-Rail Wins Finance, Completion Seen by 2026

Infrastructure Written by  Tuesday, 01 December 2020 09:31 font size decrease font size increase font size 0
Rate this item
(3 votes)

Colombia President Ivan Duque, Medellin Mayor Daniel Quintero and Antioquia Governor Aníbal Gaviria on November 30 joined in Bogota at an official signing ceremony guaranteeing finance for Medellin’s newest mass-transit project: the COP$3.54 trillion (US$991 million) Avenida 80 light-rail system.

Under the deal, the Colombian government will contribute COP$2.4 trillion (US$672 million) or 70% of the capital cost, while the city of Medellin will contribute the remaining 30% (COP$1.14 trillion/US$319 million).

Once completed by 2026, the new addition to Medellin’s world-class, zero-emissions mass-transit system – already serving more than 1 million passengers daily -- will extend 13.25-kilometers in length along the crowded Avenida 80 corridor, serving 17 stations in western neighborhoods that house nearly one-third of Medellin’s residents.

The light-rail system will connect with Medellin’s existing “Metro” elevated rail network, a growing network of electric aerial tram lines, the “Metroplus” bus rapid transit lines, “EnCicla” free bicycles, and dedicated bicycle paths throughout the city, all offering clean and relatively efficient alternatives to polluting car and motorcycle transport.

At the Bogota ceremony marking the official launch of the Avenida 80 project, President Duque recalled his childhood in Medellin, “starting with the Boston neighborhood, the neighborhood where my family lived for decades,” he said.

“Today, when I see that this dream [of an Avenida 80 tramway] becomes possible, I also see that this is in harmony with a vision of a country that is not in ideological conflicts. These [public infrastructure] projects are neither of the right wing nor of the left, they are of common sense, of well-being, of the entire community.

“[Likewise], the development of the Software Valley [in Medellin], that is not left or right wing, it is common sense to appropriate technology to transform the community. The entrepreneurial projects and ‘green’ projects that we have been developing are neither from the left nor from the right, they are common sense so that we have a vision of clean growth,” he added.

Read 1037 times Last modified on Thursday, 10 December 2020 11:59

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.

About Medellin Herald

Medellin Herald is a locally produced, English-language news and advisory service uniquely focused upon a more-mature audience of visitors, investors, conference and trade-show attendees, property buyers, expats, retirees, volunteers and nature lovers.

U.S. native Roberto Peckham, who founded Medellin Herald in 2015, has been residing in metro Medellin since 2005 and has traveled regularly and extensively throughout Colombia since 1981.

Medellin Herald welcomes your editorial contributions, comments and story-idea suggestions. Send us a message using the "contact" section.

Contact US

logo def
Medellin Herald: Find news, information, reviews and opinion on business, events, conferences, congresses, education, real estate, investing, retiring and more.
  • COL (4) 386 06 27
  • USA (1) 305 517 76 35
  •  www.medellinherald.com 
  •  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 
  • Medellin, Antioquia, Colombia

Medellín Photo Galery

Medellin, contrasting colors and styles by Gabriel Buitrago

MPGMPGMPGMPGMPGMPGMPGMPGMPGMPGMPGnav