Celsia 2018 results February 2019
Medellin-based electric power producer Celsia announced February 19, 2019 that its full-year 2018 net income rose 39.7% year-on-year, to COP$350.7 billion (US$112.6 million), from COP$251 billion (US$80 million) in 2017.
Fourth-quarter (4Q) 2018 net income also rose year-on-year, hitting COP$108 billion (US$34.7 million), up from COP$71 billion (US$22.8 million) in 4Q 2017.
Gross revenues likewise rose 10.7% year-on-year, hitting COP$3.4 trillion (US$1.1 billion) for 2018, versus COP$3.1 trillion (US$995 million) in 2017. Colombia accounted for 81% of revenues, while its Central America power sales accounted for the remaining 19%.
Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) rose 1% year-on-year, according to Celsia, a subsidiary of Medellin-based Grupo Argos.
Celsia mainly credited income growth to consolidation of its EPSA (Empresa de Energia del Pacifico S.A.) power subsidiary; start-up of the Celsia Solar Bolívar photovoltaic plant; and the completion of its “Plan5Caribe” power projects in Cartagena and Valledupar.
“The strategy of optimizing our capital structure decreased interest rates, which allowed for a reduction in financial expense,” according to Celsia.
“Net debt at the end of the year amounted to COP$3.06 trillion [US$982 million] with a net-debt-to-EBITDA indicator of 2.7 times, below the 3.2 times [ratio] registered in 2017,” according to the company.
Income tax also fell 22.5% year-on-year thanks to favorable tax-law credits and deductions, the company added.
Consolidated investments rose 20% year-on-year, hitting COP$618 billion (US$198 million), COP$592 billion of which was in Colombia.
“Through EPSA, Celsia structured an issuance of ‘green bonds’ worth COP$420 billion [US$135 million] for the development of unconventional renewable energy projects,” with COP$140 billion [US$45 million] bonds already having been sold.