September 22, 2023

Celsia Full-Year 2019 Net Income Jumps 72% Year-on-Year

Medellin-based electric power giant Celsia on February 20 announced that its full-year 2019 net income rose 72% year-on-year, to COP$603 billion (US$177 million),

Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) likewise rose year-on-year, to COP$1.26 trillion (US$370 million), while gross revenues increased 9%, to COP$3.7 trillion (US$1.08 billion), according to the company.

Fourth-quarter (4Q) net income also rose 77% year-on-year, to COP$191 billion (US$56 million), while EBITDA rose 20% and revenues climbed 7%.

Celsia credits the growth in revenues and profits in part to the sale of its former Free Zone thermal power plant and also the acquisition of electric power distribution and marketing operations in Tolima.

Other 2019 highlights included “creation of platforms for investment for the development of medium and large-sized solar projects,” build-out of more transmission assets, and “the beginning of the development of a thermal power project with the size appropriate to [maintaining power-output] balance,” paired with its intermittent renewable-power generation.

Colombia revenues accounted for 84% of the consolidated total, with Central America accounting for the other 16%.

“Income generation in Colombia during the [fourth] quarter totaled COP$210 billion [US$61.8 million] – up 29% — excluding the effects of the [sale of the Free Zone power plant] in 2018,” according to Celsia.

Total power generation in the latest quarter was 1,037 gigawatt-hours (GWh), down 29% mainly because of the sale of the Free Zone power plant in 2018. “If we exclude Free Zone from that figure, the decrease is 7%, explained by lower hydropower generation,” according to Celsia.

The company closed 2019 with a debt of COP$3.8 trillion (US$1.12 billion), down COP$713 billion (US$210 million) compared to the third quarter of 2019. “We continue to reduce net debt/consolidated EBITDA,” according to Celsia. “At the end of 2019, the ratio was 2.71 times, lower than the 3.9 times recorded at the end of the first half of 2019.”

As for social-environmental initiatives, Celsia boasted that it planted 4.3 million trees around 30 municipalities of Valle del Cauca, plus two areas in Antioquia and one in Tolima, restoring more than 3,300 hectares through the “ReverdeC” program.

The company also invested in voluntary and compulsory social-impact-compensation programs including energy and water upgrades for various schools; road construction projects; and development of cultural, sports and health activities, according to the company.

Celsia is a division of Medellin-based power, cement and airport/highway concessionaire Grupo Argos.

Related Posts