April 13, 2024
General News

Israel Inks US$77 Million Investment Deal for Antioquia Hydroponic Farm Project

Antioquia Governor Luis Perez and Israeli Ambassador to Colombia Marco Sermoneta jointly announced November 21 that Israeli companies will invest US$77 million in a novel hydroponic farm project near the town of San Roque in Northeast Antioquia.

The farm project in the El Nus township would produce tomatoes, sweet peppers and other vegetables on a 60-hectare parcel. Project start-up is estimated by early 2018, generating roughly 830 jobs.

Some 80% of what’s described as “high-velocity” vegetable production — utilizing advanced Israeli technology — would be destined for export, with the remaining 20% for the domestic market, according to the official press release from Gov. Perez.

The scheme will have “a very positive impact on agricultural production, which has been so neglected [in Colombia],” Gov. Perez added.

Ambassador Sermoneta pointed out that Israel has been forced to develop high technology to support agricultural production because of a relatively hostile local climate.

“We had to do more with less because we lack water resources and our territory is 60% desert,” Sermoneta said. “We had to develop new seeds, new technologies, in order to protect and develop new products, to diversify production, and in this way add value” to farm output, Sermoneta added.

Related Posts